The Speech and Stuttering Institute is a non-profit organization in Toronto, dedicated to improving the lives of children and adults with speech and stuttering challenges. Our speech therapy programs are made possible through the generosity of donors as well as client fees.
The Speech and Stuttering Institute has recently been given the prestigious designation from the Ontario Government as a “Centre for Training and Development.” This designation means that the Government is relying on our Institute to help create speech and stuttering guidelines in Toronto and across the Province of Ontario. This designation is a result of the Institute’s many years of conducting research to inform our evidence-based speech and stuttering therapy programs.
We are a team of speech-language pathologists with extensive experience in the following areas:
- articulation and speech sound disorders
- motor speech impairments
- late talkers
- Childhood Apraxia of Speech (CAS)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
Click here for a printable summary of our programs
Our speech clinicians are trained in the PROMPT system (Prompts for Restructuring Oral Muscular Phonetic Targets), which has been found to be an effective tool for the treatment of motor speech disorders. Several clinicians are also Hanen Certified.
Our stuttering clinicians are trained in the Fluency Plus Program, the Lidcombe Program and Palin Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (all evidence-based, internationally recognized treatment programs for stuttering).
To make a referral for any of our programs, please contact Teri Madio, Intake Coordinator:
416-491-7771 ext. 224, firstname.lastname@example.org, (fax) 416-491-7215
Children’s Speech Program
- serves preschool and school-aged children
- therapy focuses on improving speech production as well as sound awareness skills
- treatment includes language-based activities and social interaction
Children’s Stuttering Program
- serves preschool and school-aged children (2-14 years) in individual/group treatment formats
- involves parent training, education and/or teaching fluency-enhancing techniques
ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) Speech Therapy Program
- serves preschool and school-aged children who have a diagnosis of ASD
- children must be consistently communicating with others (to ask for things, make comments and ask questions) and have difficulties producing or pronouncing speech sounds
Adult/Teen Stuttering Program
- serves adults and adolescents (13 years and up)
- customized individual or weekly/intensive group treatment programs
- Our three-week Intensive Program for stuttering is internationally recognized
Click here to view The Speech & Stuttering Institute Program Brochure
NEW! We are excited to announce the launch of our new telepractice treatment option for fluency disorders. As the reputation of The Speech & Stuttering Institute has grown, we have received more and more requests from people across the province who find it difficult to attend our programs in person. As such, we are offering assessment and treatment services for people of all ages who stutter through our secure telepractice platforms.